After being destroyed twice by earthquakes the Merced Church in Antigua, Guatemala was resurrected in 1767. The yellow and white Baroque façade looks like an elaborately decorated cake.
Like all of the churches and cathedrals in Antigua the interior by comparison is modest. When Antigua lost its capital status to Guatemala City following another earthquake in 1773, its more decadent interior details were moved to a church in that city.
The Merced Church’s low, squat bell towers built to better withstand earthquakes are typical of Antigua.