Jan 7, 2009

Published Photographs: Harlem Edition

Harlem is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan to photograph. I typically head there to update my files in the spring after the dismal winter sky has left. The wide boulevards and avenues and rows of brownstones allow ample light to filter down to the streets unlike the concrete canyons in other parts of the city. It is also one of the last neighborhoods in Manhattan where people still commonly make eye contact and say good morning to neighbors and strangers alike. A sense of community still exists.

There is plenty of material to document, from classic brownstone and townhouse architecture to institutions such as the legendary Apollo Theater, Lenox Lounge and Sylvia’s Soul Food Restaurant included in the photos above. They have appeared in advertisements, magazines, travel brochures and textbooks.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

As everywhere else whas full I booked my hubbie & a friend into the Harlem YMCA when they visited last Autumn - it was dirt cheap although a little spartan even by their standards. But they did have a fantastic time in NY

Wendy said...

Heather, I always wondered what that place would be like to stay in.

Fly Girl said...

Ohh, this makes me homesick!My visit to Harlem was enough to make me feel like it was home, eventhough I'm a native Chicagoan. All these images capture that community feel,although Amy Ruth's is my fave over Sylvias!

GMG said...

Hi Wendy! New Year, Old Troubles... No, I’m not talking about the frosty weather, just the office... Another hectic week! ;)

lovely Harlem pictures! Sunny skies always hellp!!

Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, now with new posts on Delhi! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics..Harlem is so colourful and multi-cultural & certainly does make for great photographs!
Jas
Ireland

Wendy said...

Fly Girl, I haven't eaten at Amy Ruth's yet but I always hear good things. Sylvia's food I think is past its prime--it tasted like it was out of a can unfortunately.

Gil, Wish I were in Delhi now.

Vanilla Press, Thank you!

Unknown said...

getting hungry thinkin bout sylvias!

Anonymous said...

While I have travelled a zillion times to the US and even lived there for a few years, amazingly, I haven't ever travelled to NYC (outside of the airports).

Wish you a Happy New Year!

Catherine said...

I love that Lenox Lounge place...we must go again in the summer and I would love to revisit Harlem..

Anonymous said...

Have been to NY thrice but haven't been to this place.

Wendy, wish you a Happy New year !

Wendy said...

Lynne, Maybe they deliver :^)

Shantanu, hope you make it here one day.

Catherine, It's a date. A good friend has a resturant in Harlem so we must go there. Food is yummy.

Cuckoo, A very Happy New Year to you as well.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Fabulous photos of Harlem. Some of the nicest brownstones there

Prêt à Voyager said...

I've never been. Need to go. Did you see this?

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/01/manhattan-guide-part-1-harlem.html

anne

Andrew Graeme Gould said...

Love the photos, and can't wait to go there, myself!