Dec 12, 2011

Offbeat Eats From Around The World


Nothing can highlight a cultural divide more than food. One person’s delicacy can be another’s horror.

Chapulines, fried grasshoppers, have been on the menu for thousands of years in Mexico. 

These dried seahorses were on display in the fish market in Tai O Village in Hong Kong. Would you sprinkle them on a salad like sundried tomatoes? Or are they a standalone food?

No doubt great artistry and care went into making these donkey sausages, which were on sale in Marche Forville a market in Cannes, France. I wonder what wine you would pair with them and if they a bit stubborn to chew?
What are the strangest foods you have been brave enough to try when traveling?

6 comments:

Simran said...

Sorry to say but this food is totally horrible.

Andrew Graeme Gould said...

Great photo opportunities, I must say, but in my case, they would not be getting any closer to me than to the front of my lens!

Merry Christmas!!!

Wendy said...

Happy holidays Andrew!

khushifairy said...

i hardly bear to such food... :P
I preffer canned stuff rather eating it.

___________________________
Murree Hotels

Colleen said...

Oh my, did you ever figure out how to eat dried seahorses? I have to say that is not something I would go for and I'm pretty adventurous!

Wendy said...

Colleen,
The culinary delights of seahorses remain a mystery to me.