Apr 11, 2008

Mosques From Around The World

Some of the world’s grandest mosques are not ancient. The landmarks below have all been built within the last 30 years. Let’s take a tour of these houses of worship featuring stunning modern Islamic architecture:

The Mohammad Al Amin Mosque in Beirut, Lebanon was built at the beginning of the new millennium.

The Jumeirah Mosque must be the most photographed house of worship in Dubai. It opened its doors in the late 1970s.

The Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco was completed in the 1990s and can hold up to 25,000 worshippers.

8 comments:

GMG said...

Hi Wendy, look forward to see your uncensored Dubai... ;)
From these three, I've only been to Casablanca; quite impressive!
Have a great weekend!
Blogtrotter

Lara Dunston said...

Hi Wendy, I'm a fan of mosques myself - so nice to see this post. Although I'm curious as to when that picture of Jumeirah Mosque was taken. I've lived in the UAE 10 years and never seen it white. It's made of sandstone - it's hard to imagine that they might have painted those beautiful stones white once, and then sanded them back? How strange. I'll have to investigate! What's this I hear of an "uncensored" Dubai???

Wendy said...

Hi Gil,
It was quite impressive. Have a great weekend as well!

Hi Lara,
I took that photo last week. It's a bit overexposed which is why it's looking white. It was a light color but not as white as in the photo. Mystery solved :^)

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Interestig trips, beautiful pictures and nice comments make your blog quite impressive. Keep on traveling and writing and let us know the outcome.

Philip

Wendy said...

Philip,
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you come back often.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Wendy, I will. In the meantime I invite you to have a look at my blog.

Philip

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Hi Wendy. It looks you haven't escaped from New York for some time!

Wendy said...

Hi Philip,
check out my home page for latest posts and travels.