Nov 25, 2008

Markets From Around The World

Wandering the world’s markets can give you insight into local culture past and present. Some of the markets below have been in existence for centuries.

Maya traders travel from all around the Guatemalan highlands to sell their goods at the market in Chichicastenango twice a week.

You have to bargain hard in the labyrinth of Marrakesh’s souks.

There are probably more fakes than originals at the Dongtai Road market in Shanghai, China but you can still find an abundance of communist kitsch.

Shopping like a Roman is not expensive at Rome’s Camp De Fiori market.

I’ll just cut to the chase and zero in on the bling in Dubai’s Gold Market.

11 comments:

ninja said...

Yes there's something about customs and traditions that gives you an insight in a culture. From everyday visit in to the market to the ancestors remembering rituals. I wrote about those two a couple of weeks ago too.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I would feel overwhelmed by all the merchandise, but I could definitely find something to buy. LOL

Lakshmi said...

love the colours..i love collecting souvenirs

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...that last picture of the gold is amazing! Great pictures today....I'm so cold in NY that it's heaven looking at these hot places- they remind me that yes, the summer will be back.

I didn't know you were half English..how interesting. Do you feel more one than the other?
bella :)

GMG said...

Hi Wendy! Happy Thanksgiving!
Wonderful markets! And the pictures of the Day of the Dead are also excellent!
Blogtrotter is now at the Bardo Museum; some of the best Roman mosaics in the world! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Wendy said...

Hi Koala, traditions and cultures are always interesting.

Hi Debi Hobo, I'm sure you'd manage...

Hi Bella, It's been really cold so far this year hasn't it? My Mom is Welsh. I feel a mix of both and a few others :^)

Hi Gil,
Thank you and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

maria said...

I do so appreciate all your beautiful and well composed pictures.

I am grateful that you are kind enough to let us share with you.

Maria

Wendy said...

Maria, thank you and I'm glad you stopped by.

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Beautiful pics :) I love Souveniers.

Romy said...

Mercado Dia! Wonderful experience in Old Mexico! I am a folk artist and I love to paint Mexican Folk Art in particular ~ and Mercado Dia is one of my favourites! RoMy

Andrew Graeme Gould said...

I just love to wander through markets like these, Wendy. There's so much to see and photograph -- as you would know, of course. Very nicely presented, as always.