Aug 29, 2008

Published Photographs: Coney Island Edition

It’s the start of Labor Day weekend here in the U.S, which means the end of the summer season. To honor the last days of summer I’d thought I’d share some of my published photographs of Coney Island in Brooklyn, also fondly referred to as the poor man’s Hamptons. It’s an iconic urban Americana beach destination full of kitsch from a bygone era.

These have appeared in consumer magazines and national dailies in the U.K., consumer magazines in Australia and New Zealand and textbooks published in North America and Spain.

From the top: Sign for Wonder Wheel, height sign for ride, the Wonder Wheel and a food stall.

7 comments:

GMG said...

Hi Wendy! First of all many thanks for your comment on my post of 08.08.08 at 08h08 at Blogtrotter, now in Kos, Greece! It was great to read you there. Second, sorry for the long delay to come here, but August was a terribly busy month, as everybody else seems to be in vacation…
Anyhow, I found sometime now to land here and enjoy your blog.
So, end of summer and I haven't had any vacation yet... Misery!
Loved to see all your Beijing pictures. Great treat!
Wish you a great weekend!

Lakshmi said...

nice and colourful

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I've heard so much about Coney Island over the years and have always wanted to go...just to understand what people say about it and for the experience. Your pictures bring the place to life for me.

Bella :)

Anonymous said...

I love Coney Island. Have only been there once so far, but I'm longing back when I see your pictures.

Monna said...

Wendy,
I love the colourful carnival shots. Thanks for making me smile.

Wendy said...

Glad you all enjoyed. This summer marked the last for Astroland the major amusement park in Coney Island. New development is planned. It is the end of an era.

Andrew Graeme Gould said...

A great collection of really colourful images.