Jul 12, 2009

Street Scenes: Corniche Beirut Lebanon

Most large cities have a place where people gather to stroll, strut their stuff and socialize. The magnificent squares in many of Europe’s cities come to mind. In Beirut, Lebanon it is the Corniche.

The waterfront boulevard lined with palm tress hugs the Mediterranean coast. Vendors sell a variety of refreshments including freshly baked bread. Hubbly bubbly pipes, or hookahs, stuffed with flavored tobaccos are available to rent. The best time to visit is late afternoon and early evening. What is the preferred place to stroll where you live?

4 comments:

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Lebanon is one place I'd love to go to!

Wendy said...

I hope you make it there Jen.

Anonymous said...

This blog is so cool. I'm really looking forward to reading more.

Heather on her travels said...

Yes, I took the ritual stroll along the Corniche when I visited in June. I was taken by the mixture of ages, religions, glitzy and covered up, sporty and family.

It seems to epitomise Beirut which is such a mixture of different peoples living tolerantly side by side - they just want to forget the troubles of the past and enjoy today.

My take on the Corniche
http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/sunset-on-the-corniche-in-beirut/